Step 3: With the middle Box, take all of the left half of strip of paper down.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Wednesday, April 7, 2010
Okay, I opted to make this book with two separate covers instead of a connected one, so it's a lot like an accordian book. If you make it with the connected cover, it should look a bit more like this.
The first step is to decide the size of your book. The paper will be the the same size of the cover, so the way I measured it was to put the book board on my paper, score it with the bone folder, and then cut it with my ruler and exacto knife.
Make sure when you cut each piece, make sure it's folded down the middle, so each piece will actually be twice as big as each cover.
Then you take each of your pages and glue the fore edges together!
Once you've got as many pages as you want, glue the first and last pages to the covers (like we did with the syllabus), and you're done! Have fun!
Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Materials: paper, ruler, scissor/scalpel, other paper for cover.
With an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper, your book will turn out to be about 3 x 3.5”
The pages are folded a lot, so it turns out quite a bit smaller. Take that into account when judging paper dimensions.
1. With the paper laying landscape, fold in half. (left to right)
2. Unfold, and then fold each left and right side into the middle crease.
4. Measure 1.5 inches from the top, mark lightly, and crease.
5. Cut out what now appears to be the marked “rectangles” on each left and right top corner.
6. Fold all side corners so they align the outside creases.
7. Bring both side flaps with the folded corners, in to the middle crease.
8. Flip entire paper over.
9. Fold the paper in half, bringing the bottom up towards the top flap. Pockets should now be visible.
10. Secure top flap under the two exposed corners.
11. Fold entire sheet again in half –sideways you now have your spread with 4 pockets/pages.
Also – between the front and back of each page, is another pocket – between the pages. So much pocket fun!
Repeat steps for each folio.
To connect the pages---
Divide your pages in half – you’ll cut them differently.
For half of your pages, you’ll cut off the top corners:
Make marks one half inch down from the tail, and head.
For the other half, you’ll cut a triangle out of the middle fold:
To connect, simply roll or fold gently the pages with the top cut triangles, and slide them inside the missing-triangle-shaped others. Unfold, and wha-la! They’re connected.
Continue to attach other groups of 2 folios together, each to the last page of the previous.
Attach cover any way you see fit – I glued a soft paper to the outside of the book… it’s a organic, fun kind of book – the soft cover seems fitting.
Then, fill the pockets with all the little things you need to keep track of! (perfect for stamps or business cards)